Classical Pilates is the purist version of Contrology, an exercise regime developed by Joseph H Pilates in the early 1900. The method focuses on an intensive understanding of the Human Musculoskeletal system to achieve a personalised, full body and mind workout without strain or injury, just the way Joseph Pilates had taught it.
Main Characteristics of Classical Pilates
- Classical Pilates follows an original order of exercises performed on the mat or reformer (equipment developed specially for Pilates, where pulleys and springs create resistance instead of your body weight).
- Exercises are taught with a unique and dynamic rhythm, and progression occurs when exercises can be done with control and precision.
- Classical Pilates honors the original teachings and principles of Joseph Pilates where the aim is to optimize health and physical performance by working on core strength, flexibility and physical awareness and overall development of the body.
- Follows the original principles of concentration, control, centering, flow, precision and breathing.
- Focuses on body awareness imparted through intensive interaction with experienced instructors.
- Classical Pilates requires intensive student-teacher interaction which limits the class size, guaranteeing personal supervision.
Classical Pilates offers some unique benefits to practitioners
- Utilizing specialized apparatus, the method works by toning muscles as well as balancing muscular force at the joint level.
- Classical Pilates corrects muscular imbalances and improves posture, coordination, balance, strength, and flexibility.
- It increases breathing capacity and organ function.
- It stimulates circulation through facilitating muscular flexibility, joint range of motion and correct musculoskeletal alignment.
- It promotes new neuromuscular patterns, heightened body awareness, and more precise co-ordination.
- As students gain body awareness, they move efficiently, with more poise and balance, not just while practicing Pilates but all through the day.
- All these factors combine to help reduce the risk of injuries and in some cases alleviate chronic pain.
- Classical Pilates is customizable to meet any fitness level or need.
Check out Pilates classes near you using OnePass Virtual
Use code : ARTSELECT to get an exclusive discount on OnePass Virtual